No matter how hard you try, it’s impossible to keep your rugs clean for a long time. Eventually, it will collect dust, fur, spills and other kinds of dirt. And while rug cleaners are always around to do the cleaning for you, they are not exactly the most economical option, especially when you’re getting stains on your precious rug every other day. Fortunately for you, here are rug cleaning professional-approved tips to help you keep your rugs and carpets spot-free all on your own.
- Blot spills on your carpet; wiping them will only spread the stain. Using a towel or sponge, blot the stains starting outwards to inwards. By doing so, you soak as much of the stain up without contaminating the clean fibers of your rug.
- Chewing gum that gets on your rug can be a big pain to remove. But one very effective way to do so is freezing the gum. Hold an ice cube against the gum for about 30 seconds to freeze it, and it should come off the carpet much easier.
- Wax drippings from your scented candles can easily be removed using your clothes iron. Place a towel over the wax and iron the towel covering the drippings. After a few seconds, you should be able to scrape it off with a butter knife.
- If you get blood on your rug, get rid of it the same way medical professionals get rid of blood stains on their white uniforms. After getting rid of as much of the stain with soap and water, pour a small amount of hydrogen peroxide on the remaining stain.
- Grease on rug is a tough stain to clean. But with a dishwashing soap, it might not be that hard. Mix water with a couple of drops of the soap. Put the solution in a spray bottle and you can spritz the stain away.
- Most importantly, maintain the look and freshness of your carpet by cleaning it regularly. Steam cleaning injects cleaning solution deep into the fibers of your rug, which is then extracted, taking along with it all the dirt and grime. Do this at least once every 6 months.
If you’ve exhausted all the tips above and yet that stubborn stain remains, perhaps now might be the best time to call a pro to help you out. Call a reputable rug cleaning company in your area now and let their magic hands (and tools) do the dirty job for you.